Slime Mold in Potted Plants (Cause+ How to Fix)

Slime is not a big issue if you have hydrogen peroxide and a spray bottle!

How to get rid of slime mold in potted plants!

Temperature and humidity are the main causes for slime mold in potted plants. Don’t worry there is an easy fix that will cure the soil and help your plant grow healthy and strong.

You will need the following:

  • Hydrogen Peroxide 
  • Spray Bottle
  • Measuring Cup

Let’s start!

  1. Add 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 9 parts clean fresh water in the measuring cup.
  2. Pour the mix into the clean spray bottle.
  3. Give it a good shake.
  4. Spray the soil once or two times a day until the mold starts to go away.

If the slime mold layer is too thick I would advise to scrape it off first then apply the HP mix.


Slime mold in indoor and outdoor potted plants

Also known as dog vomit slime mold or Fuligo septica is actually beneficial to your house plants but can be dangerous if ingested.

If you wish to get rid of the unwanted intruder u can use the Hydrogen Peroxide method described in the first heading. In order to prevent new mold or fungus growing in your potted plants soil, reduce the amount of water you use. 

In most cases houseplants are harmed by overwatering, it suffocates their roots. To check if your plant needs water, poke your finger into the soil, if the top inch is dry, it’s time for you to water the pot.


Can I use moldy potting soil?

Yes you can use moldy potting soil. Most of the time it’s just harmless fungus that won’t harm your plants. If you don’t want to take any chances, use a 1:9 part hydrogen peroxide and water mix in a spray bottle and apply the mix twice a day until the mold starts to go away.
In case you want to use any product, put the pot in direct sunlight and this will make it go away.

Repotting is also an option but it will be extra cost and time. Make sure you sterilize the pot if you choose to do so!


Is human vomit good for plants?

No, it’s not! Human vomit is full of acid and it will most likely destroy your plant!
Plants like a more basic pH, something around 6.5 to 7.5 instead of a 1.5 to 3.5 that the stomach acid contains. Depending on the size, strength and condition of the plant, stomach acid can easily kill or permanently damage the plant.


Will bleach kill fungus in soil?

Yes, bleach can kill most fungus that is present in soil. However its effectiveness is rather poor, it’s used as a surface disinfectant. If you have pets it can harm them if left unattended. It’s very nasty stuff even for humans, it can affect your skin, eyes, throat and lungs.

If you use bleach outdoors it can harm the friendly critters that visit your garden. Natural fungicide would be your best bet so that nobody gets hurt.

Accidentally sprayed bleach on plants. What now?

Don’t panic, grab a clean spray bottle, add water and give your plant a good shower. Some people use bleach to combat insects. Don’t let the bleach stay on your plants leaves, flower for too long.